This is the file README for the free-sa distribution, version 1.0.0000.
Copyright (C) 1997, 2006, 2007 Sapon Oleg Copyright (C) 2006, 2007 RusBusinessSecurity Company Limited
This file is part of free-sa.
free-sa is free software; you can redistribute it and/or modify it under the terms of the GNU General Public License as published by the Free Software Foundation; version 2.
free-sa is distributed in the hope that it will be useful, but WITHOUT ANY WARRANTY; without even the implied warranty of MERCHANTABILITY or FITNESS FOR A PARTICULAR PURPOSE. See the GNU General Public License for more details.
You should have received a copy of the GNU General Public License along with tar; see the file COPYING. If not, write to the Free Software Foundation, Inc., 59 Temple Place - Suite 330, Boston, MA 02111-1307, USA.
For tranlations authors see the file TRANSLATIONS.
Free-SA is statistic analyzer for daemons log files similar to SARG. Its main advantages over SARG are much better speed (7x-20x times), more reports support, crossplatform work and W3C compliance of generated HTML/CSS reports code. It's written in C and is free part of commercially available RBSec-SA suite. You may check platform requirements in README.DEV file.
- Control of users traffic usage;
- Help for security engineers to control internet access security policies and investigate security incidents;
- Evaluate server efficiency to detect troubles with configuration; - Be crossplatform and generate W3C compliant reports.
Free-SA currently support next log formats:
- Squid 2.x native log format,
- CERN/NCSA Common Log Format (CLF),
- CERN/NCSA Combined Log Format (in similar to CLF way),
- Postfix 2.x over syslog log format (EXPERIMENTAL),
- Qmail over syslog log format (EXPERIMENTAL),
- Communigate pro 5.x native log format (VERY EXPERIMENTAL).
IMPORTANT NOTICE: FREE-SA IS LOCALE DEPENDENT! IT MEANS:
- FREE-SA LOCALE SHOULD BE EQUAL TO PROXY LOCALE (you can play with LC_ALL shell variable at free-sa side)
- FREE-SA TIMEZONE SHOULD BE EQUAL TO PROXY TIMEZONE (you can play with TZ shell variable at free-sa side)
- LOCALE FOR SA INDICATES CHARSET FOR ALL HTMLs (you can use iconv to convert translation files at free-sa side)